Monday, December 28, 2009

Totalan to Malaga - Day 120

Date: December 16th, 2009
Distance: 28km
Country: Spain
Song of the Day: Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight) - The Ramones

Woke up to a clear day. Had the last of my food for breakfast and started taking the tent down. I was just about finished when it started raining. So I packed in a hurry and set off into the rain.

The first couple of klicks were still pretty hilly. Overall I didn't gain or lose any elevation, but it was up and down a lot. Also, my chain has begun to slip. I know it is getting worn out, so I need to find a new one. I only hope it hasn't taken out my cogs with it. I hope to find a new one in Malaga.

After about 10km the downhill section began. It was all going pretty well at first. Then disaster struck. Around one of the hairpin turns my back tire slid out on the wet road sending me crashing to the pavement. I ended up landing on my left side, slamming my elbow and watch into the pavement. I remember thinking, "well, there goes that watch". Yep, I completely shattered the face of my awesome Chinese copy watch. My left hip landed on (and cracking the plastic of) my pocket knife making that pretty sore as well. I also wore a hole in my rear pannier as it scraped over the asphalt. Ow. Still no major damage to me or the bike. So for that I am grateful. Still, it did take me a few minutes to recover. For the rest of the ride down I was squeezing the brakes.

Once in town, I was happy to be on level ground. I found the hostel and went out on a mission to find a new chain. I spent all afternoon walking around. I couldn't find one place that had the one I wanted. Urgh. I grabbed some food and had a quick dinner at the hostel before going to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment