Monday, December 28, 2009

Malaga to Tarifa - Day 121

Date: December 17th, 2009
Distance: Cheating by bus! (also 24km)
Country: Spain
Song of the Day: It's Christmas Time Again - Blink 182

More cheating today, which is lame, but I am on a schedule to get down to Rabat. I was hoping Malaga would have a boat to Tangier, but it doesn't. So I need to get a bus.

First though I did find a place to get the chain I needed. I suppose that I should have gotten a new set of chain rings and cassette, but I didn't. Probably stupid, but the current ones don't look too badly worn.

Then it was a bus down to Algeciras, the closest stop I could get to Tarifa. I did see Gibraltar from the bus. It really is a rock, towering over the surrounding landscape. It is easy to see why the sea hasn't worn such a narrow strip of land away.

From Algeciras I had to bike to Tarifa to catch the ferry. More hills in the way though, so I missed the first boat out. Turns out this wasn't a bad thing. I had met a couple of guys in Barcelona who lived in Tangier and said they could give me a place to stay. A local guide wouldn't have been bad either. The vagaries of international calling vexed me however, and I couldn't get in touch with them. So I decided to stay in Tarifa overnight. I could catch the ferry the next morning and just start biking south.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment