Thursday, December 10, 2009

Palafrugell to Barcelona - Day 106

Date: December 2nd, 2009
Distance: 142km
Country: Spain
Song of the Day: Overdrive - Foo Fighters

I woke up to the sunrise over the Mediterranean. Really cool. Scarfed down some breakfast and pulled down the tent. Tim and I were ready to by around 9:00. I have learned to count anything before 10:00 AM as a bonus. We would need it if we wanted to make Barcelona by dark.

The morning had us riding through a few beach towns. They were mostly dead and frankly a bit boring to ride through.

By midday we were riding along some of the most beautiful coastline I have been on. Bluffs covered in trees with cliffs right down the the ocean. Plus, unlike the rocky parts of the French or Italian coastline, the road was fairly flat. Sure it did go up and down some, but not the steep accents and rapid descents of the previous two countries. The sun shining made it all amazing. I couldn't help but think that it was another day in paradise.

Tim said that some of the Swiss bike racing teams would train there, and I could see why. If you get a chance I would recommend biking along the coast of Spain near Giverola.

By the afternoon though the terrain had flattened out, which meant more developed shorelines. Still we were cruising along and making good time. We did get to Barcelona before sunset. Even found the hostel pretty easy and got all checked in.

I grabbed a shower and then Tim and I headed out to find something to eat. We ended up at this small place having some tapas. Mmmm. Then it was back to the hostel for their free dinner. Free dinner? You know I am there.

After that Tim and I were still a bit bored so we headed out again. I think we were both a bit tired, but didn't really want to call it a night just yet. Just wandering around we found an Irish bar. They were playing the Man City vs. Arsenal game. I was thinking about going when a bunch of other travelers showed up. Two of the guys were from Mexico and introduced themselves as "Nacho" and "Chicken". (Not pollo though.) There was also a girl from South Africa named Polly. I ended up talking with her for a bit. She gave me the same impression that I have gotten from most of the South Africans. It is a beautiful country, but don't bike through it unless you have a guide.

We ended up going to a few other places. What was going to be an early night turned into a late evening. Still, it was quite a blast. I didn't get back until 3:00 AM. Woo-hoo!

-Dravis

1 comment: