Friday, December 25, 2009

Granada to Totalan - Day 119

Date: December 15th, 2009
Distance: 143km
Country: Spain
Song of the Day: Christmas - Blues Traveler

Today I was up and over the Sierra Nevada mountains. I knew it was going to be a long trip to Malaga, but I was hopeful. It was only supposed to be 122km. So if I just kept at it, I would get there.

Going over the mountains the temperature dropped. So going uphill was fine. But coming down it got really cold. In the afternoon I came down into the valley with a spectacular reservoir. It was this great aqua blue color and the sun was just shining off the water. Sadly the pictures didn't come out right.

Just before sunset I had a choice between the main highway, which might have been a bit longer, and the back country roads which were somewhat shorter. Well, I chose incorrectly. Always stay on the highway. I ended up getting lost. Then when I found my way again it was on a road up and over this giant, steep hill. Argh. The worst part was that I could see the nice flat highway I would have been on. Never do that.

So the sun set on me before I reached my destination. In the dark I got lost again, then got some bad, but well meaning advice from the locals. Then it was up and over more giant hills. They really just love running roads over them in that part of the country. It was about 10:30 when I reached the top of one of the final passes and say my destination in the distance. I also found a sign that said 25 more miles to Malaga. I knew I wasn't going to make that. Or if I did the hostel I wanted to stay at would be closed. So I found an olive grove to camp in and went to sleep. I didn't even have the energy to make dinner. I just had a chocolate bar and crashed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment