Monday, December 28, 2009

Rabat - Day 127

Date: December 23rd, 2009
Distance: None (train to Casablanca and back)
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: 12.23.95 - Jimmy Eat World

This morning I hoped on a train down to Casablanca. This is not the romantic city that you see in the movie of the same named. It isn't a great place to hid out from a war ravaging Europe and a woman who has broken your heart. Nope, it is a big, dirty city. When I arrived it was cool and damp. The streets were crowded with people and cars. Most of the buildings appear to have been grand at one time but no one in the last 50 years has bothered with any upkeep.

I did find the consulate though. It took a little while to walk there, but I found it. Emory had printed out some maps for me the day before and that was very helpful. Inside it didn't take long to get new pages for my passport. They didn't even charge me for it. I did have to fill out a couple of different forms though. Also to swear that I hadn't engaged in activities to overthrow the government since I had received the passport. I wonder how many people they get who fail that question..?

By the time I left it was raining though. I ended up walking through the market in Casablanca in the rain. If the main part of the city is dirty, the market is worse. Trash just goes into the street to be washed away by the rain. When I found the train station I was glad to be getting out of the rain and the city.

Of course the trains aren't well marked. There is no sign on the train for where it is going. On the platform there is electronic signpost with a destination on it. It is hard to tell if that sign is for the train, or hasn't been changed in weeks. I would say, just ask the conductor.

Got back in time for dinner with the guys. Then watched a couple of movies and went to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment