Thursday, December 10, 2009

Colera to Palafrugell - Day 105

Date: December 1st, 2009
Distance: 81km
Country: Spain
Song of the Day: A Man is a Man - The Who

It has been a pretty good day. When I got up, the guy running the place I stayed at had made me a couple of sandwiches. That was very cool.

Getting onto the road I had more wind. More often than not it was a tail wind. Being pushed up a steep coastal road is great. That said, getting a straight road along the coast in almost impossible. Plus the wind was coming in gusts. So coming around some corners would get exciting. I literally got blown off the road at one point by a strong gust and ended up in a ditch.

I was again assaulted by wind in Vilajuiga. I was going around a roundabout just outside the city. The cross wind was so strong I was pushed around and into the bushes on the far side. The wind has also picked up some dust and was stinging my back. All I could do was close my eyes and push my bike back to the protection of the buildings. I decided that it would be a good time for lunch.

After Mazra the area flattens out a bit. Straigt(er) roads and a good tail wind. Fantastic. I spent a lot of the time using my body as a sail. Was making great time.

I ended up going through some little town, I think it was Castello d'Empunes, and meet with another guy who was on a bike tour. His name was Tim, and he was from Switzerland. Since he was also heading down to Barcelona we decided to ride together. It was nice to have a partner in crime, as it were.

Just before sunset we started looking for a place to camp. Tim was really good at finding a place to stay. It did take a little while and a couple of false starts, but we did end up at a place in the woods with a great view of the sea. The two of us talked for a little while as we cooked dinner. After that we headed to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment