Monday, March 22, 2010

Tarihowe to Telemeli - Day 213

Date: March 19th, 2010
Distance: 45km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: End Over End - Foo Fighters

I was able to sleep in a little bit this morning. Someone in the village was blasting music until early in the morning, so I didn't sleep well. The one good thing about being up in the mountains, it does cool off in the evening. I even used my sleeping bag later on. Anyway, I just wasn't in a big hurry today. I knew that Telemeli wasn't far away.

Just on the far edge of the village was another pump. So I filled up with cool water and ate the last of my mangoes. The morning didn't get any faster from there on out, but in a good way. The scenery the last two days was nice, but nothing to write home about. Today I got some really amazing vistas. Beautiful valleys filled with lush green tropical forests. Just stunning. I kept stopping to take pictures. I even shot a bit of video. Don't know if or when that will get posted.

One of the great things about cycling is that you are much more in touch with the world around you. You can also stop whenever you want. In one section I could hear a waterfall, but I couldn't see it well. Since I was taking a slow day I wandered off into the bush to see if I could find it. I was just looking for a place to get a better view, but I was able to pick my way down to river. The scene was amazing. The falls weren't huge, but they were still pretty. Thinking back on it, I should have stripped down and taken a swim.

Later in the afternoon, the terrain again started getting steeper. I was just surrounded by hills and cliffs. I really didn't know what to expect when I chose this route, but this is basically what I was hoping for. I really can't do enough to explain how amazing this area is. If only Guinea had some infrustructure, this might actually be a great area for tourism. As it is, the main mode of transport in the area is motorcycle. I am amazed that almost any four wheeled vehicle can make the trip.

I also scared off a group of women and children at one point. I stopped to take a rest under a shady tree. There was a compound right there. I tried to wave at the girl working in the compound, but I don't think she saw me. After a couple of minutes she looked up and ran screaming into the forest. A woman came out of the hut, grabbed all the kids and ran off as well. I guess white guys are scary. I decided it was time to leave. Still, me: 1, women and children: 0.

Around 5:00 PM I made it to Telemeli. I had a (cool) coke and asked if there was a hotel. It turns out there was. Judging by the power lines, there might even be some power. Woo-hoo. I checked in and had a shower. A good afternoon. I was just about to go out and find some dinner when I struck up a conversation with one of the guys who works at the hotel. He invited me to have dinner with him. I wasn't going to, but I tried some of what he was having and it was amazing. Just rice and a sauce called "man-yawk". I haven't a clue what that is, but it was fantastic. So I sat and talked with him about music while we ate.

After that I ate a mango and went to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment