Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Labe to Dalaba - Day 217

Date: March 23rd, 2010
Distance: 94km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: Circles - Incubus

Didn't sleep well last night. Mosquitoes were buzzing me all night. Plus the egg sandwich I had for dinner wasn't sitting right. Ugh. So, I was shocked when my friend El-Haj shoes up at 7:30 AM. Two and a half hours early. Amazingly enough I was able to pop out of bed and take off with him.

We headed over to the school that he works at. It was a lot of fun. The kids have only been learning English for 7 months, but were already pretty good. I did try to speak slowly, and most of what I said needed to be translated into French. It was fun to have them ask me questions about the trip I am on. I don't think I am going to get tired of telling people about it. I also spoke to them about the value of getting an education. I really see so much potential here in Guinea. The best thing the kids here can do is learn and apply that knowledge. After a couple of classes I had to get going though. So I said goodbye to El-Haj and headed off. Thanks man for setting that up. It was a lot of fun.

Back at the hotel I put all the stuff onto the bike and got on the road by 11:30. A late start, but I was excited for the paved road ahead of me. The route is still a bit hilly, but I was just able to cruise on the asphault. So amazing.

I stopped for lunch in Pita. Had some rice and man-yawk. I guess that is just mashed up cassava leaves. Still good. Plus some bissap. Then it was back on the trail. I made great time all through the afternoon. Caught a bit of headwind later. Plus I spent the last hour or so climbing. Still I made it to Dalaba well before dark.

I met a guy who had an Auberge I could stay at. Clean, and cheap too. He showed me the way to make ginger and gave me some fried bannana. Plus I had a huge dinner. After that, just time for bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment