Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kombo to Jiboro - Day 201

Date: March 7th, 2010
Distance: 54km
Country: The Gambia
Song of the Day: I Stay Away - Alice in Chains

I almost got up early and took off. I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I went over to Ketchikali Sacred Crocodile Pool. That was actually pretty cool. They had a bit of a museum there that told some of the history of The Gambia. Plus they had artifacts and other items. The real cool part was the crocodiles. These aren't huge monsters. They do let you touch them. Crocs are actually cold to the touch. I guess that is the whole cold-blooded thing. Still, it seems odd when you are used to handling warm-blooded pets such as cats and dogs.

From there I went back to the compound I had been staying at. I did hang out with Jeff, his girlfriend Annie, and Conner for a bit. Maybe too long, but I didn't have that far to go.

Originally I wanted to make it all the way to Ziganchor in one day. Looking at the map that started looking really far. So Jeff connected me with a volunteer near the boarder. So I ended up staying with Rochelle in her little village. Her place was amazing. In the room next door they had a real living room set up. With chairs and a TV (powered by a generator).

Rochelle and I spent a while talking about life in The Gambia. I guess she made a bracelet for one of the kids and then all the kids needed one. That was one day just for making bracelets. So she was on a no present policy. Too much work. Still, I wanted to get an early start in the morning and went to bed fairly early.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment