Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kuntaya to Farafenni - Day 190

Date: February 24th, 2010
Distance: 90km
Country: The Gambia
Song of the Day: Water - The Who

I guess Well's host brother is a baker, so for breakfast we got fresh Tapalapa. This is like a local version of a baguette. Warm and tasty. Oh, plus some tea. Not a bad way to start off the morning. To Wells and his family, thanks for the food and taking me in. Also thanks for the conversation.

Back on the road, the day was once again miserably hot. The winds were back at it as well. I thought the presence of a giant river would have more of an effect on the terrain. That just ins't the case. The land here is just about as dry as in Senegal. Mostly dry grassland with a few hardy trees. Not much shade along the road. Just a real hard day of cycling. I went through 7 or 8 liters of water, plus a couple of sodas. To put that into perspective, try to think of the last time you drank 2 gallons of water in a day. Just miserable.

I did get to Farafenni just before sunset. There I met up with another PCV named Steve-O. It turns out that he is an IT volunteer. I didn't think that was really available here, but apparently so. I guess his job wasn't all that amazing though. More like helping people learn to use the computers. I thought this would be at an internet cafe, but no it was more at local schools and hostpitals. Most of the computers weren't even hooked up to the internet. Shocking. It was neat to hear about what all the issues with computers are over here though. Most places don't even have steady power. This is really an out there kind of place.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment