Monday, March 22, 2010

Boke to Bambu Seleti - Day 211

Date: March 17th, 2010
Distance: 92km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Back on the road today. Leaving Boke I had wonderful asphalt. It was a little hilly, but other than that no problems. Then again I am getting into the mountains. So I expected a little bit more hills. I hope my legs are ready for it.

After the first 50km though I had to turn off the main road. That means more dirt roads. Really, it is like being on logging roads. Between that, the hills and the heat, it was just killing me. Oh, and lets not forget the headwind. I just can't seem to shake it on this trip.

I think I also missed one turn. Or maybe I was directed to a "shortcut". Either way, I was off the main road stomping over trails of rock and loose gravel. Just grueling. I should have sat out the afternoon heat, but I was trying to make it to Konsotami. I knew that was going to be a big push.

That is pretty much the reason I ran out of water in the afternoon. I carry 4.5 liters, you think that would be enough. Nope. Not in this heat. I stopped by every village to see if they had a pump I could drink from. Nada. Only open wells along the road.

Just before sunset I got back onto the main road. The conditions weren't much better, but some. I stopped at a little village and asked if they had a pump. One guy said there was one. Perfect. Except when I arrived he pulled out a bike pump. Thanks. I explained that I wanted a water pump, which they didn't have in the village. I asked if they had filtered water, which he said yes to. I was dubious, but he brought out a cup of cool clean (looking) water. I was too tired and thirsty to argue. Parasites be damned.

After that I asked if I could spend the night in their compound. The man showed me a cramped and dirt hut to sleep in. Uh, thanks. It took a bit of doing, but I finally explained that I had a tent and just needed a bit of space to set it up. That was acceptable. They even fed me a bit of simple dinner. I just crashed after that. A long and very tiring day.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment