Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kanjibat to Kombo - Day 197

Date: March 3rd, 2010
Distance: 18km (Plus a gele-gele ride.)
Country: The Gambia
Song of the Day: Low Desert - R.E.M.

Woke up and the headache had only gotten worse. I did my best to kill it with lots of water and some Gatorade powder. I also used the time to patch my bike tube. The first one was a bust, but the second one I tried held. Lets see how long that lasts.

After that I packed up and got ready to go. Thanks to Lindsay and her family for letting me stay. Good luck with all the kids.

Then it was back on the road. Sadly the headache didn't stay gone. Not only that but it came back with a whole body ache and a fever. Plus it was still amazingly hot. So riding in hot weather with a fever can't be good. I only made it 18km before calling it quits.

Instead I found a shady spot along the side of the road and hitched a ride on the next gele-gele. These are pretty much the same as the tranzis in Morocco. A little bus crammed with people and stuff. After I got on some lady got on with her goat. That was a first for me. Being on public transit with livestock.

The gele-gele stopped in Brikama. So I had to get out and find another one going to Kombo. The heat was terrible, so it took a little doing. With some help I found one heading my direction. I also bought a couple of "ice". That did seem to help with the headache a bit.

Once in Kombo (the capital area) I went over to the Stoge house. My friend Evelyn was there and she said it was cool to crash there. This was almost right. I guess there was a big training session going on though, and they weren't even letting other Peace Corps stay there. But I she did introduce me to a guy Jeff and his friend Conner. Jeff was Peace Corps. Conner was just visiting and staying at the compound with Jeff. There was an extra room at their compound. Good enough for me. I just wanted to sleep. So I headed over there and pretty much crashed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment