Monday, March 22, 2010

Boke - Day 210

Date: March 16th, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Guinea

Found internet today. That is pretty much what I did all day. I woke up and was feeling really bummed about not finding any the day before. I was just going to take off, but I just didn't feel like it. Sometimes the logistical problems end up weighing me down.

That is something I didn't really consider before I came here. My life seems to be full of arranging things. Finding a place to stay. Getting food. Filling up with clean water. I guess it gets to me sometimes. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to go on a cycle tour where everything is arranged. I can't say this is really vacation. It is a different sort of experience. I do get to do some amazing things though.

This morning I finally got a line on where to find internet. There was apparently a university about 4km away that had it. I was on the fence about heading off to the next town or staying another day. I decided to stay another day, and boy am I glad.

The university did have internet. It was over some crazy satalite hookup. The speed was even pretty good. I don't think it would do video or anything, but it was pretty good for checking e-mail. I order some parts for my bike and worked on arranging a place for them to be shipped to. I really have to thank my parents for being so supportive on this. I also talked to my mom on skype. She was worried like always, but I was able to reassure her that everything is okay. Africa really isn't as dangerous as people make it seem. Then again I am also hoping to avoid the troubled parts...

So that was my day. Spent 6 hours on the internet. Well worth it though. I feel great and am ready to head off down the road tomorrow.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment