Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Panchang to Janjanbureh - Day 192

Date: February 26th, 2010
Distance: 54km
Country: The Gambia
Song of the Day: Wake Up Time - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

I should have gotten up early an been on the road, but I was feeling lazy. Also, I knew I didn't have that far to travel. Instead I started talking with Evelyn, and she is a cool kid. We just hung out chatting until lunch. It was a really pleasant way to spend the morning. Well, with one exception. The goat in the compound must have been annoyed about something. Its calls would punctuate the conversation sounding like a fraternity pledge on a Sunday morning. Other than that it was nice.

Oh, I also changed out my front tire. The tread had all come off by this point, but for some reason the tire was still going strong. After 11,000km it was still hanging in there. I only changed it because I wanted a fatter tire for the rough roads ahead.

After lunch I did say farewell to Evelyn and got onto the road. Evelyn, thanks for letting me crash at your place. Also for the M&Ms.

Leaving late didn't really help me out though as I was now riding through the hot part of the day. Ah well. It all went pretty smoothly. I found my way over to the ferry terminal, as Janjanbureh (Georgetown) is on an island. The ferry service was a little unprofessional. As in having a boat was the only requirement for running a ferry. Still, I made it across with no real issues.

From there I found a place to stay. Actually Marnie, who has been helping me coordinate this crazy trip, recommended it. I stayed at the forest service camp. This was pretty good, mostly because it was cheap, but also had power. So I could charge up my stuff and get some writing done.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment