Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Medina Wallum to Kanjibat - Day 196

Date: March 2nd, 2010
Distance: 78km
Country: The Gambia
Song of the Day: Goodnight Elizabeth - Counting Crows

I woke up and said goodbye to ET and Mr. Wallum. He wanted to know when ET was going to repay the favor. I love that. In this culture, staying with someone is a favor. Actually, ET's host family wanted me to stay a few more days. Sadly that isn't my lot in life, I must move on. To ET, thanks I had such a great time. Have a great time with all those kids!

From there it was a long trip along the road. Still hot. Still into the wind. More hard miles. Even worse I got a flat tire about 10km out from Kanjibat. I know I could have fixed it, but by that point it would be dark. So I hitched a ride. A guy from a Swedish NGO stopped to pick me up. Really, people are just so friendly here. They really are willing to do anything they can to help people out. So to Buba, from Future In Our Hands, thanks!

In Kanjibat I met up with Linsay, a PCV that ET had gotten me in touch with. I was introduced to her host family and another gaggle of kids. I spent the time before dinner showing them how to make various noises. The villages where peace corps has been to must have a strange sort of culture once they leave. Bizarre bits of Americana imported into strange places. Lindsay, I am sorry if you kids will be annoying you with lots of noises from now on.

After dinner I had a bit of a headache and went to bed pretty early.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment