Monday, March 22, 2010

Bambu Seleti to Tarihowe - Day 212

Date: March 18th, 2010
Distance: 81km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: Coming Back to Life - Pink Floyd

I woke up early. As in, when the roosters in the compound started crowing. While I was getting ready, the man of the house came by the tent to inquire about me with a "Kon-Kon". I think that is like "knock-knock". I was on the road by 8:30, still in search of water. That took another 15km. The little village also had some fried bread (kinda like doughnuts) and mangoes. That mangoes was great. The fried bread was fried in the same oil as the fish they were selling. Not so great.

Still, I was full up on water and ready to go. The going was rough though. The roads aren't well maintained. Also rocky and rutted. The terrain is pretty steep in places as well. That is also where the worst sections of road are. During the rainy season the steeper sections must wash out pretty badly. Plus any cars or trucks going by won't help. So I could spend an hour collecting potential energy on the way up, only to burn it off as break heat on the way down. Quite frustrating.

The good thing was there were pump wells every 10-20 kilometers. So I was well stocked with cool water. I also stopped at Konsotami for a bit in the afternoon. There was a place I could sit in the shade and eat a mango. I wanted to stay longer, but I had a long way to go.

I didn't make it either. Again, I was hoping to get to Telemeli. Didn't happen. Just after sunset I arrived in Tarihowe. I was told that I could find lodging at the police station in the previous town. I was dubious, but it was worth a shot. I did talk to the Chief of Police and he was more than happy to let me stay there. They even had a place I could take a quick bucket shower. Though it didn't smell the greatest. Still, I was able to find a bit of food in the village and headed off to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment