Thursday, October 1, 2009

Portsmouth to Sainte-Mere-Eglise - Day 42

Date: September 29th, 2009
Distance: 80 km (I switched to kilometers on the continent.)
Country: France
Song of the Day: Measuring Cups - Andrew Bird

Today I had to get up way too early. I had an 8:00 boat from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. Plus I was supposed to be there an hour early. So I was awake at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM. After that everything went pretty well though. I had some breakfast then I put all my stuff on the bike. Jeannie even woke up to see me off. A big thanks to her and Mike for letting me stay. They were both amazing hosts and wonderful to be around. Jeannie, good luck in Australia!

I rode into Gosport and got the ferry over to Portsmouth. Then it was off to the channel ferry terminal. It was much faster this time. Not only did I have the bike, but I didn't get lost. Yay.

I arrived 45 minutes ahead of the sailing time. That actually worked out well. I checked in and only waited about 1 minute before they let me on. Plus I was the first one aboard on account of the bicycle. I secured that and headed upstairs.

For some reason I found myself nervous. I guess I always feel that way before traveling to a new place. Plus France is a new place where I don't speak the language. I tried thinking of all the French I have picked up over the years. It isn't much, but I hope it works. After we got out of the harbor, I went to sleep for a bit. I got up too early to stay awake for the boring part of the crossing.

When I woke up we were just about to get into Cherbourg. I was one of the first off, but because everyone else was in a car, I ended up in the middle of the pack to get through customs. I was worried that they might ask me questions about who I was or what I was doing, but the immigration officials were very nice. I needed to get a stamp in my passport (most likely because I was American, and almost everyone else was European). The lady who stamped the passport smiled stamped it and gave it back. I asked her if I could go to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, then come back through France. She looked at me sweetly, and said "Of course you can." Really, that is the nicest border crossing I have ever been through.

From there I pedaled around Cherbourg for a bit. I was trying to get my berings. Not with directions really, I knew which way to go. What I really wanted to know was how everything works here. I didn't find a grocery store. I still don't know where they buy groceries. There were some butcher stores and a fruit stand. But you have to be able to get cans and dried food somewhere. Or milk? Maybe tomorrow I will find out.

I did find that the French like bakeries, and I love them for that. Fresh baked... well... anything is great. They often have sandwiches too, which are good. Until I find the grocery stores, I think I am going to live on "pain chocolate".

From there I rode east. Learned the French road system. On a bike, avoid any of the "N" roads. These are freeways. Not highly trafficked where I was, but a freeway none the less. Try the "D" roads, they are much better. More like country highways. Plus they have something the English didn't. Adequate sinage. Yep, you can actually find your way around the country pretty well, just by following the road signs. I am frankly amazed. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it is head and shoulders aboved the british roads I have gotten used to. Then again, I haven't wandered off into the little country roads, but I think getting around this country will be pretty good.

After I hit the coast, I went South. The countryside is really pretty here. Then again (and neither country will like this) northern France looks a lot like England. I tried to stop off and get an adapter for my laptop charger. There was a nice little electronics shop (in a building that looked 300 years old). The lady didn't speak any English. But I was able to manage. I told her I was looking for an adapter. After a moment she got what I was saying, and happily told me no, they didn't have any. So communication isn't bad, and the people are friendly, even if they are saying they can't help.

From there ended up in Saint-Mere-Eglaise. This was the first town liberated by the Allies in the Normandy campaign. This was done by the US 82nd Airborne Division. They even have a pretty good museum about it with a Waco glider and a C-47. Neat stuff. So I got another one of my little videos here.

There was also a campsite close by, so I decided to stop. It only cost me €4.80. I am really liking this country. I even set up my tent while it was still light. Since I didn't have any groceries I had to go out for dinner. So far the only thing I haven't liked was that everything is closed. So I am in a pizzeria right now getting some dinner. A little expensive, but I can manage for one night.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment