Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Falaise to Dreux - Day 48

Date: October 5th, 2009
Distance: 140 km
Country: France
Song of the Day: Nothingman - Pearl Jam

I was going to get up with the sun and get my tent off the side of the freeway. But it was still raining when my alarm went off. Since I was well hidden, I decided to just sleep a bit longer. Taking a tent down in the rain is so annoying. So I had another hour and a half. By then the rain had stopped and taking the tent down was, well, not dry, but less wet.

The first thing I did was go to the Chateau Guillaume le Conquérant. I guess it wasn't actually his birthplace. They did have a neat audio-visual tour. I also got another of the videos for my little movie.

From there it was just a slog for the rest of the day. I had planned ahead and found a camping site that was open year round near Dreux. I just needed to get there. I stopped at another McDonald's for a BigMac and more free wi-fi to check my route. I swear, in the last three days here in France, I have had more McDonald's than I have in the last three years in the states.

By then it was getting dark and I still had almost 60 km to go. I don't know what it was. It could have been the BigMac, or it could have been the half liter of Coke, or both, but somehow it formed biking super fuel. For the last two hours of the day I was cruising at about 30 kph. So when I did get into the camping site, they were still open. I was able to get a nice spot, and a badly needed shower.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment