Friday, October 9, 2009

Paris - Day 52

Date: October 9th, 2009
Distance:
None
Country: France
Song of the Day: Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse - Minus the Bear (Yeah, this one is all about being in Paris. Just great to have stuck in your head all day.)

Today I did more tourist stuff in Paris. Let me begin by explaining that Paris just has a way of sucking money out of you. It does it in quite subtle ways though. Unlike Las Vegas, which seems more like a leech, Paris is more like a mosquito. You don't really notice how much you have spent until later. Then it starts to itch. You think, damn where did all that money go.

So first, I tell you don't forget to haggle. If there is no price listed, then it isn't set in stone. Bargain with the proprietor of the shop. Even if he says no, there is always another one. Plus walking out is a good tactic. Then again, I haven't taken my own advice much, but I really think I should have. So I itch to go back and haggle with over a couple of purchases.

Second, if there is a price marked, don't be afraid to walk away if it is too much. There are cheap places to get stuff if you know where to look. Supermarkets, which are a little more rare than the little bodegas, are much less expensive. Look around for them, and keep in mind where they are.

Finally, this is Paris. Some things are just going to be expensive. Just remember that spending too much is all part of the fun. If you do, I would suggest you make it worth your while. Sit out at a cafe. (Avoid the smokers who now also crowd outside though.) Or eat an expensive croissant while walking along the Seine. Remember to experience the shit out of whatever you are doing. If you are going to pay Paris prices, enjoy it with Paris enthusiasm.

So today I went to the Notre Dame cathedral. Lacking a hump, I didn't actually venture up into the bell tower though. I did go into the crypt nearby. Really it is just an ancient section of the city that was unearthed. Plus it covers early roman to the romantic periods of the city's history. Plus somehow I got to get in for free. Yay.

From there I went to the Musée d'Orsay. They have a collection of more modern art than the Louvre. Still, very cool. I still like the more realistic styles, but the more impressionist stuff was cool. I like Monet, but I was amazed that Pissarro did seem to look much brighter in a lot of ways. Also, Sisley was good. I guess I don't see why Monet is the only one who is widely known. For the Post-impressionists, I did like the work of Luce. Though I still don't really care for Van Gogh, it was clear from the collection there that he was an amazing artist. See, this is what happens. You go to Paris, and find that you actually have opinions about art.

I think my favorite work from the d'Orsay was a painting called Le Rêve, from Édouard Detaille. It was the only one of his they had, but I couldn't stop staring at it. (Matt's First Principle on Art is: Good art is something that is always interesting to look at.) I really suggest that you follow the link and have a look yourself.

After that I headed over to the Musée Rodin museum. The museum has Rodin's "The Thinker" and other sculptures. After being accused of just copying a human, in "The Age of Bronze" sculpture, he seems to have gone the other way. After that his works have done for sculpture what the impressionists did for painting. His later works don't have the realism of a Michaelangelo, but they convey the same feeling. Basically, looking past the reality to see the emotion behind it. Cool stuff.

From there it was down the road to the Eiffel Tower. Yeah, I know it is touristy, buy what the hell. Plus, the tower itself is a great piece of engineering, and I love that. You don't realize how thin it really looks until you are actually up in it. Plus it has a grate view of the city. I guess it was supposed to cost €14 to get up to the top. Somehow I did it in two sections, one ticket to get to the second terrace for €3.50, and another to get to the top for €5.00. Man I love saving money.

From there I got caught for a bit in another rainstorm. There was one crash of thunder, but that was it. Because I was so close to the tower I was hoping to see some strikes. But alas, it was only the one thunderclap. I ended up taking shelter in the American Cathedral in Paris. I guess they were having a big dinner there. The Dean was out there welcoming people to shelter out of the rain though. I appreciated that, and will try to get back for a service on Sunday.

After the rain had abated a bit, I went over to the Sony store to pick up my camera adapter. They were closed though. So I headed back to the flat to meet up with Zaheer. We went out for Pizza and then a glass of wine while talking about life, religion, history, and politics. He is a great guy to talk to. Or maybe (if it doesn't sound too egotistical) he reminds me of me. Too smart to accept the party line, but not too jaded to enjoy life, and hopeful enough to know that whatever happens will be great.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment