Friday, October 2, 2009

Sainte-Mere-Eglise to Grandcamp-Maisy - Day 43

Date: September 30th, 2009
Distance: 48 km
Country: France
Song of the Day: Number Two - The Pernice Brothers

Today I left camp and made my way East to Utah beach. It is a really pretty section of the French coast. Nice sandy beaches with beautiful views. It reminds me of the East coast of the US. It is actually hard to imagine the fighting that went on there 65 years ago, and I have a good imagination.

At the beach there was a museum which did a good job of explaining everything that happened. After that I took a stroll down the beach. There were occasional reminders, like a rusting piece of artillery half buried in the sand. One of the German bunkers had been converted to a toilet. I guess that is fitting use right?

After that it was getting late so I headed on down the road. By accident I found Brecort Mannor. This is something described in the book Band of Brothers, and also shown in the mini-series. It is now a memorial to the men of Easy company of the 101st Airborne division.

From there it was south to Carentan before heading back to the coast. I got into Grandcamp-Maisy just before dark. I cooked myself a quick meal. Then because I wasn't tired, I decided to do some bike maintenance. I am still evolving it to be the best touring bike I can make it. Remember, my motto is: "If it is worth owning, it is worth modifying."

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment