Thursday, October 15, 2009

Paris - Day 53

Date: October 10th, 2009
Distance: None
Country: France
Song of the Day: Glory Box - Portishead

Today started out with me running errands. I did stop by Notre Dame again. This time I figured out that you could just go in the big front doors. So I did. Wow, what a place. When you walk in you can see and smell hundreds of years of incense soaked into the walls. Plus the stained glass is gorgeous. I would also recommend walking around and looking at the little chaples. This is where you can see some of the wall paintings. This was lost in most of the english churches because of the reformation.

After that, I went over and a got a European map for my GPS unit. That should be very helpful. Right after I put the map in, my GPS wouldn't turn on. I was a little worried that I had just paid for a map right as my GPS died. But it just needed a couple of new batteries. I also picked up my camera adapter. So I will be posting pictures again.

After that I met back up with Zaheer. He had a plan for the evening. First we met up with some friends. Mark, who I had met my first night, and his girlfriend were there. Two of her friends showed up a bit later. We went to a place for a nice, if a bit pricey, dinner. I guess the place was known for its steaks. The menu said they came from Wichita Kansas though. Seemed a bit silly to travel 8000 miles only to get a steak for Kansas. Instead I had boeuf bourguignon. (I admit this beef might have also been from Kansas). It was good, but just like beef strew my grandmother used to make. I was expecting something a little more.. French?

Then we went over to a club called the Showcase. I was wearing my convertible shorts when I walked up. The bouncer told me I couldn't get in because of them. Fortunately I had brought the legs along. So I just zipped them on. The bouncer was just dumbstruck, so I got in. Zaheer and Mark were quite impressed. I think it made their night.

The place itself was pretty cool. It is actually under Pont Alexandre III, a bridge over the Seine. (Not under water, though. Just about level with the river.) It was done up pretty well too. But they were charging 12 euro for a drink. Egads. I know people buy them to impress everyone with the money they are wasting. "Look how cool I am. I just spent way to much for a drink." Lame. I just wish I could get a discount for not wanting to impress anyone.

One of Zaheer's friends was playing in a band called Minnie Moskowitz. They had a pretty interesting lineup. Four girls for lead singer, bass, keyboard and flute. The only guy in the band was their drummer. All in all, not bad. I still didn't think they quite "hit" it, if that makes sense. Then again, it could have just been the accoustics in the place.

Sadly, Zaheer and I had to leave early (just after midnight, if you call that early). Alexandra was just had gotten back to town and would need keys to the apartment. So we headed back. I did a bit of laundry and after Alexandra got in, then called it a night.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment