Monday, October 26, 2009

Mainz to Mannheim - Day 68

Date: October 25th, 2009
Distance:
113km
Country: Germany
Song of the Day: Killing Time - The Tragically Hip

Left the campsite before noon, and was on the road. First stop was the center of Mainz. I stopped by their tourist information center, but they didn't haven any maps, other than just for the city. I would have gone to a bike shop for more maps, but it was Sunday, and they would all be closed. Oh well, it was going to be another day along the Rhein. So all I had to do was follow the river.

This actually worked out pretty well. Low wind today for a change. Plus it was just a simple journey. Do watch out for construction though. There was one spot where they were doing work on the section next to the river that I was riding on. So I was forced onto the highway with basically no shoulder. But it was only a couple of kilometers to the next town and the trail picked up again.

By the time I got to Mannheim it was getting dark. I knew from there I would have to head overland, but I didn't know the route. I stopped at a park in town and stole some wi-fi to look at google maps.

While I was there I found a campingplatz just south of the city. So that was my next stop. No one was around reception when I got in, so I just setup my tent. I also cooked dinner on my little stove for the first time in a couple of days. Tortoline with Neopolotin sauce. Ymmy.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment