Saturday, October 31, 2009

Eurasburg to Munich - Day 73

Date: October 30th, 2009
Distance:
54km
Country: Germany
Song of the Day: I Talk to the Wind - King Crimson

Got up early again. Yay. Had some breakfast and broke camp. I did scare myself a bit in the night. I thought something was munching on my food outside the tent. Turns out that it was just my breathing russling my sleeping bad. So that is my Closeau moment. Really though, nothing bad happened.

From there I just rode on to Munich. Conditions in the morning were just miserable though. It was bitterly cold and a mist had moved in. Plus I was having more headwind. Just like, but with the cold it was really crappy. Even with my full biking gloves on my fingers were almost numb. Just before noon though the sun broke out and started warming things up.

Rode through a couple of things without really seeing anything. I went through Dachau the town, but didn't see any signs for the concentration camp. A concentration camp is a weird tourist destination though. Closer to Munich I rode by the Olympic village by didn't go through it. I don't know if there is really anything cool to see there though.

Once I got into town I didn't have a clue where I was going though. I didn't have a place to stay. I just planned on getting a bed when I got there. I just didn't see any hostels. I did see the central trains station, so I decided to stop there. I figured they would have a tourist office. I was standing outside trying to figure out if I could bring my bike in when this Aussie guy started talking to me.

Turns out his name is Craig and he did have a hostel booked, but didn't know where it was. I said I would watch his stuff (he was pretty loaded down) while he went in and got a map and asked where the place was. Now the line inside was much more like people standing around in went so slowly. So after waiting around for a bit, He had some maps and the hostel was just around the corner.

One hostel is as good as any other right? So I just followed him over there. I even ended up getting booked into the room with Craig. By this point we were getting on pretty well. We ended up dropping the stuff off in the room and going out for some late lunch.

After that we took a stroll about the city. I hadn't a clue what to go for or what to see. But we just wandered around for a bit to see what there was. Frankly I did wonder what was actually old and what was new. I suspected that some of the buildings were destroyed by the second world war. The city has a lot of dates on buildings, but I wasn't sure they could be trusted. The city itself is pretty neat. But after going through a bunch of European cities, I guess it just seemed like another one.

After that we went back to the hostel and met up with Craig's friend Susie. She is from Bavaria, and had come up to meet with Craig. We ended up at the bar in the hostel. There we met another Aussie guy named Andy, and the four of us headed out for dinner. We ended up a a bierhall. I had sweinehaxe. Yum. It was a bit tough though. The one from Feirabend is so tender it falls apart in your mout. I love that.

From there we headed out to a club to dance the night away. Germans are still not, in my opinion, great dancers. Like I said though, that just means that I fit in. Actually, I think less than half of the croud was German. Most of the rest I think were tourists like me. In all it was a fun night. I didn't get back to the hostel until 5:00 in the morning. Whew.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment