Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dieppe to Berck - Day 56

Date: October 13th, 2009
Distance: 110 km
Country: France
Song of the Day: Walking By - Something Corporate

Woke up and had a nice continental breakfast. Not as heavy as a "full english", but still nice and filling. Fresh and dried fruit. Yogurt and bread. Mmmm. Plus orange juice. It was great. My hosts even gave me a bit of extra stuff to take with me. Cookies, a bananna and a juice box. How sweet is that. So thank you to the propriators of the Chambres D'Hotes.

Oh, and Dieppe is a beautiful city. Really quite nice. Of course not everyone has had such a pleasant reception. Still I highly recommend a visit. The church there is really pretty. Not as big as some of the cathedrals I have seen, but the detail work is amazing.

From there it was up along the coast. All day. Still more wind. I don't know. I thought going the other direction would me a tail wind. But I guess not.

I new I wasn't going to get to Calais in one day. So I decided to stop around Berck. It seemed a little over half way. There were a bunch of campings in town but they all seemed closed. I asked a guy on the street (also on a bike) if he knew where one was. He didn't speak any English, I speak only a little French. So he decided to take me to the places he knew. How amazing is that?

I guess that is the thing. The French are amazingly pleasant. Outside of Paris that is. It isn't that people in Paris are mean so much. I think they are just bored and annoyed with all the tourists. Outside of Paris people are so happy to help out tourists. When my host this morning asked me where I was from, and I said the US, she was so excited. She started yelling at her husband in the other room, something liek "We had an American staying with us."

So yeah, the third place my guide led me to happened to be open. How cool is it that he tried three places? So I got a place to stay. Then went to McDonald's again. Yes, still lame. But I was hungry and needed internet. I didn't have time to post. But I did want to check out some camping sites and hostels in cities I would be going to.

From there I had to hurry back and get a shower. Then it was off to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment