Saturday, October 31, 2009

Merklingen to Eurasburg - Day 72

Date: October 29th, 2009
Distance:
154km
Country: Germany
Song of the Day: In the Pines - Nirvana

From Merklingen getting to Ulm was surprisingly easy. The bike route was pretty simple and I just followed it right into town. The cathedral there was pretty cool. I didn't have much time for sightseeing though. I got a few pictures and a sandwich and moved on.

Getting out of Ulm was just as easy. I just follwed the bike path along the river. That was great. Flat again and pretty easy to follow. I did have a Coke in the afternoon and frankly, I felt great. Even as night fell I was feeling really good and wanted to keep going. So I did.

Normally that would be a bad idea at night, but I had my lights on, and there were bike paths off the highway. So I was just cruising until I hit Augusburg. Unlike Ulm, Augusburg was a pain. I acutally went in a damn cicle trying to get out of downtown. Eventually I found another cyclist who was heading east out of town. So he just had me follow him.

I did a few more kilometers, but my energy by that point was dead. I was riding along a highway and there were some woods on either side. There was also a dirt track leading down through the pines. I just went to check it out at first, but I ended up pitching my tent back up in there. It was a bit creepy though because the area looked like the scary forest from The Brave Little Toaster. (Yes, I think I am man enough to make Brave Little Toaster references.) But I didn't think anything would happen, so I just went to bed.

-Dravs

No comments:

Post a Comment