Thursday, October 15, 2009

Calais to Ghent - Day 58

Date: October 15th, 2009
Distance: 147km
Country: Belgium
Song of the Day: How to Survive a Broken Heart - Ben Lee

Woke up to a cold morning. I wanted to get up earlier, but the sun wasn't even up. I am so warm in my little cocoon as well. Eventually I did get up and ate a hearty breakfast. Then it was off for the day.

Got to Dunkerque and took one last video. But I was hoping to get to Brussels by the end of the day. So I didn't stay long.

I did get to Belgium. Yay, country number 4 on this trip. There wasn't even a crossing gate. Just a sign. Must more like crossing a state border than an international one.

First impressions are the roads are much more adapted for bikes. On most of the highways there is a bike lane or a bike path. This doesn't seem to be a concession to the cyclists so much as to the drivers. Belgian drivers are terrible with bikes. They pull out right in front of you. They honk all the time to get you to move. Hey, if there is no bike lane, it is my road too buddy.

The people on the streets don't really seem to get tourists. Or maybe just don't get a touring cyclists. They just glare at me as I go by. Even most other cyclists do. It is weird. Anyone you talk to though a) seems to speak English and b) is quite friendly. Oh, and the prices here are better than in France. Not cheap really, but much more reasonable.

I should mention one other thing. Belgium smells. I know France and England had their moments. It just seems to happen much more often here. I don't know if it is just that they have more cows per capita? Or maybe just the areas that I am going through? But yeah, stinky.

Anyway, I didn't get to Brussels. I didn't even get to Ghent really. (I am about 15km away right now.) I did use the GPS to find a nice camping spot. So that is cool. It makes up for the GPS thinking I was a car again. (Take the the ramp to the A16... argh.)

Had dinner and stole some wi-fi at a "frituur". Mmmm, fried food. So good. Tomorrow onto Ghent and Brussels.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment