Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rabat to Agadir - Day 160

Date: January 25th, 2010
Distance: 12 hours on a bus
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Getaway - Stereophonics

I walked all the way from the bus station over to the Mauritanian embassy. I thought I might be the only one there, but as it turns out there was a huge line. Maybe 50 people, all there for the same reason I was. To get a visa. The operation wasn't all that well run either. It took me 30 minutes just to get the visa application form. I am pretty happy with how my french is coming along. I was able to read most of the form without help. I still have a bit of trouble with tenses. Like did they want me to list the countries that I have been to or the ones I am going to? Stood in line for a while and finally handed my stuff in. The guy only asked me a couple of questions, then said "dis-set". I asked him when it would be ready, but the guys behind me got to it first. They told me he had said "dec-sept", or 17. Meaning it would be ready at 5:00 that afternoon. Cool. I was glad it wasn't going to be the next day.

So I wandered back into the center of town and went to my favorite juice place. Grabbed a tall glass of fresh juice and a cheese omelet. Then went to the crepe place next door. I was hoping to use their internet, but it wasn't working. So I just had some food and left. About then, about 3:00 PM, it was time to head back to the embassy. So I wandered back over there. I was hoping that they would be ready early, and maybe I could get another visa (say for The Gambia) while I was here. No such luck. There was a huge line outside again. I did talk with a couple from the low countries and a Guy from New York while waiting. We ended up talking about all our various stories getting visa and passports and so forth. Finally at about 5:45 the doors opened. Again, there was no real organization. Everyone just crammed toward the door, and they let in a few at a time to pick their passports up. I did get mine back with no real problems though. I am now the proud owner of a visa for Mauritania, good for one month. So I am now hoping I am finally good to go south.

I wandered back to the bus station and picked up a bus heading south to Agadir.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment