Saturday, January 2, 2010

Argbala - Day 133

Date: December 29th, 2009
Distance: None
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Dead of Winter - Eels

Today was a boring day. I did laundry. That was about it. So instead I will try to describe the place my cousin is graciously hosting me at.

Let me preface this description with the fact that nothing I write should be considered a complaint. I am merely trying to describe the situation here. This is probably not all that much different from what most people in the village live with every day. I am just trying to give you an accurate impression as to what makes this different from how you experience life everyday.

I should start by saying the place has all the grace and charm of a Siberian prison. Let that be your canvas that the rest of this mental picture is painted on. The walls are thick concrete block. Yet, they don't seem to help keep any heat in. (I am also told they don't keep the heat out in the summer either.) The central room is big with a large skylight. The only thing keeping out the rain or keeping in the heat is a grid of rebar. The paint is green and mottled. There are three rooms besides the kithchen and bathroom. Each room is outfitted with one bare lightbulb. Usually nearby is the single electrical outlet for each room. There is running water as well, but only one tap. There is no hot water. No shower either. The bathroom is little more than a room with a hole in the ground. (I will try to post some pictures of it soon.)

My cousin' has done a good job of making the place as comfortable as possible. He has put pictures and maps up on the walls to make it a little more homey. His room is the warmest and has a big soft rug. So that is where we have been hanging out. All in all, not a bad place for about $90 a month. Still, in a little while I will be taking off heading to warmer climates. My cousin still has 16 more months helping out this little community he lives in. I would say he has more guts than I do on this one.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment