Monday, January 18, 2010

Beni Mellal to Kelaa des Sraghna - Day 147

Date: January 12th, 2010
Distance: 116km
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Walk On - U2

Left Beni Mellal a bit later than I wanted to. Actually, I slept in more than I wanted. Oh well. I also had one other problem. After three weeks off the bike, my poor butt was not used to such a long day in the saddle. So it was a bit sore getting on again today.

About halfway I started hitting a lame headwind. Then it started to get hilly, which for some reason didn't abate the wind any. So it was pretty lame. But I did get to Kelaa des Sraghna before sunset. Yeah. Found a place to stay.

I should let you in on a little secret. While traveling in Europe, I heard lots of people mention that you could live like a king for almost nothing in certain countries, mostly closer to the equator than I live. In Asia the one quoted is Thailand. In the Americas it is something like Costa Rica or Guatemala. I also heard the same thing about Morocco. So, if you hear this from someone, just look them in the eye and scream "YOU ARE A DAMN DIRTY LIAR!" Because, this isn't really like living as a king. Kings get a private bathroom, and one where they don't have to bring their own toilet paper. Now, if you don't mind taking a step down in the world, you can get a very cheap place to stay. What you get is a simple room with a sink too small to do just about anything. So (possibly because of the tiny sink) these rooms tend to have a problem with water on the floor. They might not have all their windows or even sheets on the bed, like the place today. But you do get a decent and safe place to stay for the evening. Since, I don't mind saving the money and would otherwise be sleeping outside, it works for me.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment