Monday, January 18, 2010

Aghbala to Outerbat - Day 140

Date: January 5th, 2010
Distance: Travel by taxi and tranzi
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Jackass - Beck

So I left my cousin and Aghbala behind for a mini tour of the Atlas mountains. Since my bike is in Khenifra, this isn't really cheating in that sense. I still have to get back to it when I am done. So that is where my mini tour will finish up. Until then it is motorized, public transport for me.

Allen saw me off to the taxi, which I appreciated as it was a) cold and b) 7:00 AM. I was also glad to have borrowed a sweater because while the taxis could leave that early, it didn't look like it was going to. They usually wait until there is a full load before going. So Allen and I had some tea at a cafe while waiting. Eventually I was called and said goodbye to my cousin. I would meet up with him later in Khenifra.

The first stop by taxi was Imilchil. It was supposed to be packed with people, but I was the only passenger for most of the way. We did stop for a moment at a major highway intersection. I thought we might pick up some more passengers as there were people standing around. Turns out two of them were getting into a fight. My cabbie had to get out and brake it up. Really not sure what it was all about. Remember kids, foreign travel, it may not always be fun, but it is always interesting.

Anyway, when I got to Imilchil the tranzi to Outerbat was just about to leave. I just it. The trip itself was fairly uneventful though.

When I got to Outerbat I met up with a PCV out there named Jack. Very cool guy. He made me some lunch and then we left to check out the place. We met with the head of the local commune. Very cool guy. Even provided us with nice hot tea. He liked the help the Peace Corps was providing his village. The volunteer before Jack had help get them toilets inside. Big steps into the modern world. After that we hiked up to the top of a little hill to get a great view of the town. I wish I had brought my camera though. I missed a great shot. Oh well.

For dinner, Jack made some chili. There was no meat in it though, which was a disappointment for Jack. His chicken guy just never showed up though. I thought the chili was great, even if it didn't have meat. I thought the the chili powder must have been sent from the states, but he said all the ingredients were locally available. Morocco is known for its spices, so he just got the components for chili power and put them all together. Good stuff.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment