Thursday, January 21, 2010

Marrakech to Imi-N-Tanoute - Day 154

Date: January 19th, 2010
Distance: 124km
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Cowboy Song - Thin Lizzy

Another day in the saddle. Feels good to be out on the road. Actually, it felt so good I stayed out there longer than I expected. I was only going to go to Chichaoua, but I was making such good time I decided to keep going. At this rate I can probably make it to Agadir tomorrow.

The land seemed to dry out as I was pedaling by. I did have some clouds in the afternoon to help keep it from being too hot. It was still warm. Once I made the turn south to Agadir at Chichaoua the sun was right in my face as well. I did purchase a scarf back in Marrakech. I am not much of a scarf guy (I am not usually cold) but I thought it might help through the desert. So I was trying that out today. I used it mostly to cover my face and ears so I wouldn't get a sunburn. I am still getting used to it, but it should be quite helpful in the days to come.

Actually, it does feel like being a cowboy. It is a simple, migratory lifestyle. Long days in the saddle, racing the sun. Camping under the stars. Riding through open country. Suffering the weather, be it blazing hot sun or freezing rain. Cycle touring is the last bastion for people with that ancient wanderlust. Those who want to ride off into the sunset.

Yep, that is just what I did, riding into the dark. I might have come a bit too far today though. The last 10km was pretty brutal. My left knee started acting up. So I had to coast most of the way in. I hope it is feeling better tomorrow.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment