Thursday, January 21, 2010

Imi-N-Tanoute to Agadir - Day 155

Date: January 20th, 2010
Distance: 64km
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Achilles Last Stand - Led Zeppelin

Sadly today my knee wasn't actually feeling much better. So I did the best I could, but it was a slow slog through most of the day.

At the top of one hill my back tire blew out. The sidewall of the tire was gone. Really, most tires just aren't built to take the extra weight on a touring bike. Fortunately I have three spare tires. I was hoping to go a bit further before having to use them, but that is life. Still it was another delay that I didn't need.

Once that was fixed, my knee still wasn't feeling better. It finally gave out just before this little crossroads. I didn't want to push it anymore so stopped in at the little shop there and had a Coke while I was thinking about my next plan. I knew I could have camped somewhere nearby, but that would only mean that I would have to be back on the bike tomorrow and I really wanted my knee to rest. So I took the bus into Agadir.

Yep, just stand on the side of the road and hold out your thumb like the good book taught us. Nothing too it. I got on the bus stowed my bike and was off. Simple. Yeah, I know it is cheating, but you have to listen to what your body is telling you.

It was too bad though. The bus was going through some of the most beautiful country I have seen so far in Morocco. It was pretty hilly, so I am glad didn't ride through it. But if my knee had been feeling good, oh boy, that would have been awesome. I hope there are more places like it south of here.

Once the bus stopped, I got off and found a place to stay. I think I will have to burn a couple days here to rest. Oh well.

-Dravis

4 comments:

  1. That sucks. I hope your knee feels better soon. Apparently knee comfort and function is dependent on the angles at which you apply the force, which in turn is closely related to the length of your cranks. Just learned that the other day.

    Also you could, you know, bike like a normal person at more than 10 RPM. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo JonnE's comment...your knee probably wouldn't ache so badly if you weren't putting a ton of pressure on it...

    Your stomping is getting you into trouble! Take heed, traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in Agadir? I'm in TAROUDANNT! I'm an hour away from you! Come visit, and I'll show you around!

    Here is my email:
    LittleMissTrilling@gmail.com

    I hope to see you soon!

    Best,
    Julian (you remember me, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually don't think this has much to do with my stomping around. I actually find I do much less of that now than I used to. Especially in the flats.

    I think really it has more to do with the repetitive motion. So when I am going, it the ligaments or whatever are rubbing and that makes my knee sore.

    ReplyDelete