Saturday, January 2, 2010

Argbala - Day 135

Date: December 31st, 2009
Distance: None
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: The New Year - Death Cab for Cutie

For dinner my cousin and I headed over to his host aunt's house. She had cooked up quite a spread for us. Actually, other members of their extended family were coming in and out all evening. I could see why, the food was great.

It started off with a lentil soup. Allen was telling me that the soup is what they would use to break their daily fast during Ramadan. I thought it was great, but he assured me it gets old after 30 straight days.

Then Mona, his host aunt, brought out the main dish. A chicken tagine. Yum. In Moroccan food everyone eats from a large round platter. I guess they usually pick up food with bread. Using your fingers is okay too. You are supposed to eat in a triangular area in front of you.

The kids finished off the evening with a little entertainment. They had the Moroccan version of Dick Clark's Rock'n New Years Eve. Actually, it was more like the best from this year's Moroccan American Idol. It was all in arabic, so I didn't understand anying. But the kids were up and dancing. So we got up and danced along for a bit.

After that we headed back. Watched a movie until midnight. It was a much quieter New Year's than previous ones. No fireworks. No champaigne. Just good food and a quiet evening. Hello 2010!

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment