Sunday, January 24, 2010

Agadir - Day 157

Date: January 22nd, 2020
Distance: None
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Wild Mountain Honey - The Tragically Hip

Well, I did spend two days in Agadir. Glad I did, but I am a little disappointed today. I spent a bunch of time at the cyber looking up visa requirements for Mauritania. It turns out they have been changing their rules a bunch recently. I guess you used to be able to walk up and get a visa no problem. But this summer you could only get a 3 day visa at the border. No problem for me, as that is all the time I was planning on spending there anyway. In the middle of December they changed the rules again. Now all visa had to be applied for in advance. So I have to go back to Rabat and get a visa at the consulate there. Urgh.

Also, none of this actually came from the Mauritanian authorities. There is no website that I could find that had the official rules on this. It was all people who have tried and were denied. They started posting online, and that is how I found out. I guess they even created a little camp site just outside of the boarder to wait for everything get sorted out. Sending runners back to Rabat to get visas. If there is one good thing though, that does mean that people are still crossing the border.

But the consulate is closed today (it being a Friday), and I don't expect it to reopen until Monday. So I think I will head to Tizinit tomorrow. Stash my stuff there and make a quick trip up on Sunday. Then come back Monday or Tuesday hopefully. What a pain. And I thought I was getting used to travel in Africa.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment