Friday, September 4, 2009

Peterborough to Lincoln - Day 16

Date: September 3rd, 2009
Distance:
64 miles
Country: England

Woke up before 10:00 and broke camp. Actually I thought it was an hour earlier because my watch was off. Whoops. Just as I was getting onto the rode I ran into my French friend. So we headed off together. Getting out of the city was a pain. None of the roads actually seemed to lead out. We got there eventually, with the helpful advice of some strangers. Basically we ended up on the A14 and A15 all day. Not a bad way to go, but it is really just a highway. Sometimes there isn't a shoulder so you have to be really careful of cars. It is also a little harder to enjoy the scenery with cars racing by.

The countryside was mostly rolling hills. It got to be really annoying. You would struggle up a hill, and then waste all the potential energy. Then do it again, and again.

I got ahead of my companion outside of Lincoln and must have just lost him. He was going to camp in the wild again that night. Turns out that might have been a better idea. When I got to Lincoln, no one knew of a camping site. "What? No one comes here," they told me. So I ended up finding a bed and breakfast to stay at. I was actually lucky to get in, both because it was late and they had a cancellation. Plus the other places I went to had no vacancies. It was a lot more than a camping spot. But it got me online to plan out my next day and charge my batteries. Plus the family that runs it was very nice. Especially for welcoming a dirty bike rider into their home late at night. So if anyone ever comes to Lincoln, I recommend the Brayford Guest House.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment