Monday, September 28, 2009

London - Day 34

Date: September 21st, 2009
Distance:
26 miles
Country: England
Song of the Day: Guns of Brixton - The Clash

Had a pretty lazy morning with Jay. Just sat around eating pizza and watching Alan Partridge. Then we went out for a late lunch or early dinner with Dasha. She was going to Kingston (a suburb of London) to go play vollyball and then stay at her mother's place. Coincidentally one of Jay's friends was going to be out there having a party at one of the clubs. So we planned to head out there, and Dasha would meet up with us later.

Of course Jay and I had a bunch of time to kill, so we stopped into a pub near Sloane Square. We had only stopped in for one pint, but ended up joining into the pub quiz mostly by accident. We ended up glomming on with a couple who had just bought a house in Ireland, and were in London celebrating. Jay was impressed that I knew what a dew claw was. I didn't realize that was obscure knowledge. We ended up in third place, but it was still a good time.

After that Jay and I went out to Kingston. We hung out for a while waiting for Dasha. We then headed over to go to the club. I guess it was a student night, though. Jay had his student ID. Dasha and I met people in line who had theirs and would bring us in as guests.

Now this is where things got weird. I got through the first line of bouncers and payed my £5 to get in. Then I stepped up to another bouncer who asked me to turn out my pockets. Okay. So I handed him everything I had. Being a good Boy Scout (and also a fan of MacGyver) I carry a small pocket knife. The bouncer looked at the knife, then looked at everything else. He then brought me over to the manager who pressed £5 into my hand and rudely shoved me out of the club.

I was really confused by all of this. I asked the manager what was up. He told me that I had tried to bring a "weapon" into the club. This is a mischaracterizaiton that I hate. It is a tool, plain and simple. So fine, I was going to lock it up with my bike and come back. The manager said that I had been banned and couldn't get back in. I was incredulous.

At this point Jay called. He and Dasha were already inside. One of the bouncers asked him to hang up the phone, so he said "okay". At that point they shoved him outside. Dasha was pushed out next for no good reason. Because they were kicked out for "disorderly conduct" they wouldn't get their cover refunded.

What a horrible place. I have never been treated so badly, anywhere, by anyone. This includes by the TSA. You really have to work to be more rude and stupid than those guys. So well done Oceana in Kingston. I beg anyone and everyone not to go there. Awful.

After that Dasha went back to her mom's place. Jay and I rode off back to his place.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment