Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Edinburgh to St. Neots - Day 26

Date: September 13th, 2009
Distance:
Cheating by train!
Country: England
Song of the Day: Belong - REM

Woke up late today. I had meant to get up at 8:00, but ended up getting up after 9:00. No time for breakfast. Damn. I did give the ladies from Canada the address to my blog. One of them was so jealous of the trip, she said she would stow away in by bags. I also gave it out to the girl working the desk at the hostel. From talking with her, she had done some other cycle tours. So hopefully they will have some fun reading along. I am tired of scrounging up a pen and scraps of paper though. I need to create some business cards to give out to people...

Then it was off to the train station. I had tried to get a ticket online the night before, but it wouldn't take my credit card because I didn't have a UK postcode. But I couldn't put in a different post code, because then it wouldn't be the correct address for my american credit card. Poor website design. So I had to get a ticket day of travel, which is more expensive. Oh well. Can't win everything.

From there it was off to Edinburgh castle. I didn't have much time before my train, so I did the quick tour. The castle was pretty cool. It was built on a rock high over the city. Absolutely understandable why you would build a castle there. They did have a bunch of cannon up there as well. Good luck with that. It is nearly impossible to get what is called plunging fire to work. This is why the star forts are set low to the ground. But anyway, the castle was still pretty neat. Definitely worth the time. Plus great views over the whole city.

Then it was off to the train. Seemed like an efficient way to get around the country. In four hours we went through what had taken me a week on the bike. It was cheating, and a bit on the expensive side. I would have spent at least that much money on food and camping sites bicycling back. I can't say that it saved me any money, but it saved about a week traveling. Which is good, because I need to start heading south before it gets too cold.

My great uncle John met me at the train station. What a guy. He is 88 years old and still has a lot of energy. He loves to spin yarns and always has a big smile on. What a hoot. Of course, his knees are bad and he doesn't walk very fast. He seems to manage to get around alright.

He took me back to the farmhouse. I guess it is about 200 years old, but one knows exactly. There are also a number of little out buildings and barns plus a couple of fields. His son John, and daughter Jeannie were there. Their mother, my great aunt Helen, hasn't been feeling well recently and they were helping around the house.

My great aunt went to bed early, and the rest of us had some wonderful dinner. Jeannie insisted that I have a couple of large helpings because of all the fuel I have been burning on the bike. How sweet, and food was wonderful. A nice home cooked meal. Mmmmm.

After dinner one of Jeannie's daughters, Charlotte, showed up. She is taking a masters program at Cambridge. She didn't stay long, but did invite me out for hashing the following evening.

It is amazing how welcoming everyone has been. I know we are all related, but I really couldn't have been made to feel more at home here. Remember that these are people I have never met.

Though I was informed that I had met my great uncle twice before when I was living in Alaska. Once in 1983 and again in 1985. He and I also share an interest in flying and old aircraft. He was an pilot in the Army Air Corps after all. We talked until almost midnight before calling it a day.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment