Monday, September 28, 2009

Dover to Hastings - Day 38

Date: September 25th, 2009
Distance: 52 miles
Country: England
Song of the Day: Out of Reach - The Get Up Kids (Across the pond / by the dover peaks)

Today was just a day of riding. Didn't really do much. Left the campsite by 10:30 and was on the road. I was making good time for the first two hours. That was right along the seawall. Quite a pleasant way to ride. In a way it reminded me of Venice beach in L.A. Except not quite as many tourists. Then again, it is fall now. Maybe it is worse in the summer.

Stopped for lunch at a cafe in Rye. Quite a cute little town. Had a sandwich in the sun while reading the book Charlotte gave me. I even had some ice cream. Oh, it was so good. I should have had a second one.

Back on the road and I even made it to Hastings early, by 4:30. I started looking around for a place to stay. The first campsite wanted to charge me £13. No thanks. I decided to ride up to Battle, which took a little doing, since it was basically all up hill. I did find a nice little spot that only was charging £5.50. Now that is more like it.

I got out the stove and cooked up some chili-mac. They have mac-and-cheese here in a can. I really wanted to try that. I did get the "dynamyte hot" chili though. This was a bad choice. I wanted something with a little kick, but this clobbered the taste of the cheese. If that wasn't bad enough, I burned the bottom. So not a great first try. Well, better luck next time.

After that I just took a shower and went off to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment