Friday, September 11, 2009

Carlisle to Keswick - Day 22

Date: September 9th, 2009
Distance: 56 miles
Country: England
Song of the Day: Little Round Mirrors - Harvey Danger

Got up and went to see Carlisle castle. It is a pretty cool place. I guess it was originally built by the Normans. Then the city was part of Scotland then, but later it was taken by the English crown. Edward I used it a few times as a base during his campaigns in Scotland. Quite an interesting history.

From there it was off to Starbucks. I know, lame, but they have wi-fi and I have a card to use up. Planned out the rest of my trip. Since it was going to be sunny for the next couple of days, I decided to head south into the Lakes District. From there I would return to Carlisle (or thereabouts) and head up to Glasgow.

First stop was Keswick. I had actually wanted to get as far and Windermere, but I got a pretty late start (2:00). To get there I was going to take the regional cycle path #10. They were doing construction over part of the route in Carlisle, so I had to just guess where it was going. I did find it and get myself out. The countryside was quite pleasant. Gently rolling pastures.

The cycle path then cuts basically right along the border to the national park area. Let me explain something I have learned about English roads. Most of the major roads in Englad seem to evolve naturally from the fact that they are actually a good way to get somewhere. Not too steep, not too long, etc. Instead of going on the quiet main (read: flat) road, the path had me going over the shoulder of all the hills on the edges of the lake district. Steep hills too. I had to push my bike up a couple of them. Plus I had to squeeze the life out of my breaks on the way down. The roads were so curvy I couldn't see where it was going most of the time. Obviously no one had used a topographic map when planning the route. They were just looking for the most non-trafficked path to use for bikers. "Hey Bob, traffic on this section is really low. Hmmm, wonder why. Oh well, lets have the bike path go through there." Bastards. It made me want to garrote the planners with my brake cable. After a couple of hills I realized that the people who designed it were morons, and I was an idiot for trying to follow. The next time the path went to a main road, I took it. A few more cars, sure. But a lot smoother. When the cycle path diverged to find some quieter more hilly route, I didn't follow. Much better. No more pushing.

From there I went down through the Lake District to Keswick. I could really see why Nels recommended that I go. The scenery was amazing. Hills and lakes and streams. Keswick itself was a pleasant town, but very touristy. I found the location for a camping site just south of town on Castle Rigg. Rigg, by the way, is an English term meaning "You are going to go up a big ass hill." Cheapest campsite so far. Only £4.90. Though showers were 50p. I got there just at sunset and took a couple of pictures. I hope they come out well.

I even had enough time to cook a meal on my stove for once. Just a can of soup, but it was good to cook something for myself for once. With some soft rolls I had it was excellent. After that it was a shower and into bed.

-Dravis

1 comment:

  1. Be really careful railing on your brakes for long distances, I had a very nearly terrible accident coming down a loooong steep hill. Here's how it goes:

    Brake pads rub on rim
    Rim heats up due to friction
    Very hot rim heats the bead and sidewall of the tire up
    Bead/sidewall/tire A-Splodes. If this is your front wheel, you go down HARD. Of course since most braking is down on the front wheel this is more likely.

    Anyway, be careful. No reason to test out Europe's health care system.

    ReplyDelete