Monday, September 28, 2009

Battle to Gosport - Day 39

Date: September 26th, 2009
Distance: 119 miles
Country: England
Song of the Day: Stay Gold, Ponyboy - The Get Up Kids

Woke up early and rode to see Battle Abbey. This was created on the site of the Battle of Hastings. I even got more videos for my little short I am putting together. Hopefully I will have more on that later.

I went back to the campsite and took down my tent. Got all the stuff on the bike and rode off. I next rode down to Pevensy where William the Bastard was to have landed.

From there it was just a long ride all day. I had wanted to get down to Gosport (near Portsmouth) where I had a standing offer from Jeannie to stay. This would be great since I was planning on getting a boat to France from Portsmouth. So it would work out quite well.

What I didn't really think about was how long it was going to take. Longest day so far. Even if you don't count the ten miles I did with no panniers on, that is still 109 miles. I did stop at Brighton for just a bit. They had a "food fair" going on, and, like normal, I was hungry. I ate a venison burger. Mmmmm. Also a scoop of ice cream which I ate on the way out of town. (Getting good at riding and eating at this point.)

I was very happy to finally get to Gosport. It was late (11:00 PM) by this point. Jeannie was back up at the farm visiting her folks, but her husband Mike was in. He took me in and got a bed made up. I took a shower, which after so many miles was excellent. Mike also made me a cup of tea. From there it was off to bed.

-Dravis

1 comment: