Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sikasso to Orodala - Day 251

Date: April 26th, 2010
Distance: 104km
Country: Burkina Faso
Song of the Day: Space is the Place - Spacehog

The rain the night before seems to have chased away the clouds again. I was also still slamming into that damn headwind. The heat and the wind made for pretty slow going.

Halfway through the day I crossed the border. Burkina Faso, country 20, if I am not mistaken. The border crossing was pretty uneventful. No request for bribes. Just paperwork. I really like having all the visas ahead of time. I also stopped for lunch on the Burkina side.

Then it was just the big push to Orodala. This really isn't about speed. It is just about being determined. Also, a little bit of cloud cover in the afternoon was helpful. It even sprinkled once or twice. Not really rain, though. I think I could count the drops that hit me on one hand. The countryside was also pretty nice. Since it is the begining of the rainy season, it is getting pretty green. I see grass shooting up all over the place. It also seems to help cool everything down. So I made it to town just before dark.

I got checked into the one hotel in town. Then headed out for dinner. It started raining on me while I was out. Really pouring. It was great. I love rain here. For dinner I stopped at a roadside restaurant. They had a big chalk board with things that they didn't have. You just have to ask. I had some "To" (pronounced: like toe or tow, not two.), it looked a lot like tofu in the form of the bowl it was poured into. It came with a sauce that looked like dog snot. The sauce wasn't bad. The to wasn't great. It was like eating cardboard. So for the second course I ordered a salad and two bowls of yogurt for desert. Yum.

It was still pouring on the way back to the hotel. Can't say I mind. The cool rain felt great. I wonder if this will keep up tomorrow?

-Dravis

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dravis, your site was recommended to me by Bob McEliece (I've known Chris since I was about two). I love travel blogs and just wanted to let you know how I ended up here. Looking forward to the posts and hoping you end up in a place I've seen before.

    ReplyDelete