Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bamako to Ouelessebougou - Day 247

Date: April 22nd, 2010
Distance: 77km
Country: Mali
Song of the Day: Paper Thin Walls - Modest Mouse

Got back on the road today. I feel really good about that. My butt doesn't. It has gone soft on me again. So a day in the saddle made it a bit sore.

I must admit I am not quite "regular" either, but I think that is just because I killed everything in my gut, good and bad. I have been eating little packets of yogurt in hopes of putting back the good digestive bacteria. (I am sure everyone was waiting for updates on how my intestines are doing.)

The road out of Bamako isn't bad, it is just crowded with trucks and motos. After the first 15 kilometers though, things seem to settle down. After that it was just putting on the miles. The land around Bamako was pretty dry, but it started to get more green the farther south I headed. It has also been cloudy the last couple of days, which has helped to keep the heat to bearable levels.

I got into the little town of Banankomo in the early afternoon and stopped for lunch. Just some rice and a peanut sauce. After that it was nap time. I slept on the mat under this little hut with a bunch of other local men. One of the other guys had the same idea and was sleeping, mouth open, in his chair. I suppose that my bike could have been stolen while I was sleeping. I just don't see it happening. Visitors are taken care of pretty well in small towns like this. So it was a nice way to spend the hot part of the day.

After that it was just a short cycle to Ouelessebougou. My first mission was to find a Coke. A cold one. Just a little treat for a day well spent. After that I got checked in at the local hotel. It is a nice place, but the toilet and (bucket) shower is outside. Eh, nothing I haven't done before.

Finding a good dinner was harder. I was looking for a nice juicy salad. I really am pretty thirsty most days. So salad has started to sound better. Especially with some bread or spaghetti. I didn't find anything close. The only thing I could get was some rubbery chicken with spaghetti. At least it was filling. Hopefully there will be something better for dinner tomorrow.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment