Monday, April 12, 2010

Dabola to Cissela - Day 234

Date: April 9th, 2010
Distance: 72km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: It's Hard - The Who

I don't know what went wrong today. Today was a hard day for traveling. I did get out late, which wasn't the best idea. I knew I didn't have far to go, so I was hoping to make it all before the hot part of the day. Should have left earlier.

The road wasn't helping much either. It was a lot flatter terrain, but much dryer as well. So there wasn't much shade from the sun, and no green plants to absorb some of that heat. I was hitting a steady headwind as well. I missed the 2:00 PM mark for stopping. Then I missed 3:00 PM. I was hot and miserable. Just melting in the sun. I just kept pushing myself.

Once in Cissela, I got checked in at the hotel. It really is one of the nicest places I have been to. They gave me a suite with a sitting room and everything. Cheap too. I was hoping to get some laundry done, but I was wiped out and took a nap for a couple of hours.

In the evening I walked around Cissela. I couldn't believe it was on the map. It is tiny. Then again it has a gas station and a hotel. Other than that, probably 30 houses in the whole village. It didn't look like there were any good place to eat. So I asked the guy running the hotel if he knew a good place. He said he would make me spaghetti with gazelle meat. Deal. It took about an hour and half to make though. I was starving by the time it was ready. When it did finally arrive, it was excellent though. The gazelle tasted a lot like beef actually. The sauce was great, and the spaghetti was filling. I couldn't ask for much more.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment