Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Balamui to Coyah - Day 229

Date: April 4th, 2010
Distance: 90km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: He Knows I'd Love to See Him - Morrissey

Woke up at sunrise today, which is pretty good for me. The border opens at 7:00 and I knew the guys in the truck to Ghana wanted to start early. I was all packed up and ready to go just after 7:00. I said goodbye to Mr. Simon and his wife. He even gave me a soda for the road. Wouldn't accept payment for it either. When traveling you meet some of the most amazing and generous people.

The border was actually pretty easy to cross. No real hassles on either the Sierra Leone side or the Guinea side. In Pamalap on the Guinea side I was supposed to meet up with the truck. I just didn't see it. I waited around for an hour or so. Had a bean sandwich and something like hot-cocoa. Still no truck.

I decided that I should get moving. I was pretty distinctive on the road, so they could see me if I was there. If it had somehow passed already, well I would need to get myself to Coyah. That is what ended up happening. I never did find the truck. Ah well. Each choice, each circumstance, is just a different experience. For me that meant a lot more miles down the road.

Still, it wasn't a bad day. A bit cloudy, so that kept things reasonably cool. I could also buy watermelon along the road. I was never that big a fan back in the states. Now I get it. When it is hot, and you are thirsty, it is wonderful.

I got to Coyah in the early evening. The hotel was about 2km out of town though. I got checked in and took my shower. Then headed back to town to find some dinner. I wanted some potato salad. They didn't have a "restaurant" for it though. I could buy all the ingredients (cooked) right at the same place though. I don't know why they didn't take the one further step to actually give me a plate of the stuff. Oh well. I bought what I needed and brought it back to the hotel.

When I got back, the manager at the hotel told me that they didn't have electricity. So I would have to go to the hotel down the street. I guess they are owned by the same guy though. Fine. So I got packed up and headed over there. The room was a bit nicer, and had air conditioning. Fine. So I made my potato salad and headed to bed.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment