Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kankan to Fodecariah - Day 237

Date: April 12th, 2010
Distance: 62km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: Red Mosquito - Pearl Jam

I woke up not feeling very well. Didn't have a restful night of sleep. I was hot and my stomach was aching. Still I had to go.

First order of business for the day was getting to that cyber cafe. It was actually one of the best I have been to. Cheap and the connection was actually pretty fast. I got a couple more posts uploaded.

Then it was back to the hotel to get all packed up. I didn't get on the road until after 11:00 AM. I knew it was going to be a short day, so I wasn't worried. Still I like the early morning rides better. Only 10km in, I had to make an emergency dash into the woods though. Apparently my Diarrhea is back.

No real spectacular terrain along the road. It is pretty flat here, and I can see the land drying out. That doesn't bode well for me. The wind was being nice again, coming from over my left shoulder. It gave me a nice gentle push most of the day.

At 2:00 I stopped in a town to hide out from the sun. I found a place I could get a Coke and some cool water. I think I like the shade of trees better than that of buildings. It seems to be cooler. After a couple of hours I got back on the road. It wasn't that far to Fodecariah, but I was going pretty slow. I can't believe how hot it is here sometimes.

When I got to the town, no hotel. Ah well. I have dealt with that before. I ask around and was eventually invited by a Student to stay in his families compound. He even fed me some dinner, for which I was most thankful. I even got a shower out of the deal.

Not that it did much good. My tent was so hot. I just couldn't do anything to cool down. I lay inside for an hour dripping sweat. By the time I fell asleep I was in a puddle of water.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment