Monday, April 12, 2010

Linsar to Nidindo - Day 232

Date: April 7th, 2010
Distance: 75km
Country: Guinea

I woke up pretty early and got some breakfast in Linsar. I figured the road out would be a nice glide downhill most of the way to Mamou. It wasn't. It was rolling hills, and if anything went up. The wind was also again playing tricks on me. Each valley and gully seemed to have its own wind direction. I was being pushed in all directions. The route turns a lot in the mountains as well. So I never did get a sense of what to expect.

The last climb into Mamou was just hell. It was hot and I kept thinking it would end over the next rise. Then there would be another uphill stretch. Argh. I learned to hate radio antennas and cell towers. They put them on top of hills, and you can be sure the road goes right by them. Ugh.

The last 8km to Mamou was an amazingly fast downhill. I really was too hot and tired to enjoy it though. I didn't care anymore, I just wanted to find a place to sit out the hot part of the afternoon.

I did find that. A cafe serving bissap, ginger, and rice with manyawk. What more could I ask? I spent an hour and a half there avoiding the sun and cooling down.

Back on the road I realized why I shouldn't have a big lunch though. It just made me tired. I didn't feel like doing any more miles, and I really did need to get going. I just couldn't.

Before sunset I stopped to rest in a village along the road. They had a pump for water, and that was good enough for me. I decided I should just stay there for the night. While resting, and drinking cool fresh water, I started talking with one of the guys from the village. I explained my situation and he invited me to stay in his family's "ensemble" or compound. Good enough. I pitched my tent, and my host explained his work as a mason building houses. I tried to explain what houses were like in America, but they really are different. Houses here are just walls. In America, they have infrastructure. Water. Sewer. Electricity. Heat. Air Conditioning. Still it was interesting to talk.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment