Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Freetown - Day 224

Date: March 30th, 2010
Distance: 32km (around the city)
Country: Sierra Leone

Woke up way late, which again felt good. My stomach still wasn't feeling good, so I was taking it easy on the food front. Just a little bit of juice for breakfast.

I met up with Ali, my guide from the day before. I guess I am not sure why. Just wanted to say "hi" and see if he could explain a little more about where the consulate for Mali was. Didn't work out that way. Instead it led to a bike tour of the city of Freetown.

Ali had borrowed a bike from a friend because his had been stolen. The thieves had been riding it for a few months and worn out the break shoes, so that turned out to be our first mission. It wasn't a straight shot though. First we stopped by a friends place. It seemed like a hangout for those into bikes in the city. That was one good thing to see. In most places people just ride things until they break. Most bikes in Africa eventually get turned into single speeds when the derailer jams or the shift cable breaks. I can't tell you the number of bikes I have seen where the break cables are just wrapped up and tied off. I am not even sure the cable is broken, just nobody has bothered to reconnect it. So it was nice to see that some people here do take care of their bikes. I think the guy who owned the house where everyone was hanging out said he would get Ali the break shoes the following day.

Then it was off to three or four shops. I don't think this had anything to do with getting bike parts. I think Ali just wanted to show me off. It seemed to be the same conversation at each one. "Meet my friend, he just biked here from England."

The one good thing was we ended up by the immigration office, so I could get my entry stamp finally. It took a while for them to get what I wanted. Frankly I don't understand why the first guy at the border didn't give me one. Even the guys at the head office where confused as to why I was sent there. Oh, also, the stamp is huge. It takes up half a page. Between that and the visa I already got, Sierra Leone has taken up a page and a half just to come in.

Anyway, after the immigration office we stopped for lunch. Which I had to pay for. I really wouldn't have minded, but Ali didn't even ask. We go to get it and he tells me I owe for both of us. Frustrating. I didn't even want lunch. Just a little bit of bread or something. Nope, rice with a spicy sauce and beef. Didn't help settle the stomach.

Still, we did finally head for the consulate for Mali. But by the time we got there they had closed. They said to come back the next day at 9:00 AM. So I guess all the running around had cost me one chance to get the visa. More frustrating.

I thought Ali was trying to make up for it by offerning to show me the beach. I have heard the beaches here in Freetown are not to be missed. But we didn't go there, at least not at first. Instead we headed out of the city, then started going uphill. I may not have an extensive knowledge of geography or physics, but I am pretty sure beaches are usually located at the bottoms of hills. Ali had actually taken me over to his sister's house. Thanks. She was out, but I did talk with a few of her sons. They gave me cool water at least.

Then finally it was off to see the beach. It was really pretty, and I wanted to come back and swim. That would have to be another time. I was tired. My stomach wasn't feeling that well. It was getting late as well. So I was happy when we headed back into the city. Not an easy road as it was, as mentioned before, uphill. At some point Ali said he had to return the bike and I was glad to be off on my own again. He really has a knack for annoying detours.

I made it back to the hotel. For dinner I just bought a little bit of bread and a pineapple. After that it was time to turn in.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment