Monday, April 12, 2010

Kindia to Linsar - Day 231

Date: April 6th, 2010
Distance: 73km
Country: Guinea
Song of the Day: Vapour Trails - The Tragically Hip

I woke up early to get some internet time in, then hit the road. It would have been a good plan, if it had worked. The cyber cafe opened at 8:00 AM for some reason, but they didn't actually turn anything on until 9:00. I guess I could have had an extra hour of sleep. I did finally get my internet time in. Put up a couple of new posts. I also had to haggle over the price. The guys running the place kept telling me different prices for things. They also counted the time we argued over the price as time I spent on the internet. It did get settled in the end though. I think you just have to show that you won't settle for the aporto price.

It did mean a pretty late start for me though. The road out from Kindia was actually pretty good though. Downhill for almost 15 kilometers. After that I had a huge hill to tackle though. I got to the top exhausted. There was one bright spot, just after the crest of the hill was a village. For some reason they had a shop (hut) with bissap and ginger. Frozen. Not solid frozen either. Mushy frozen. Just at the point when ice crystals are starting to form, but haven't frozen into a rock. That is the best way to drink something. So good. That really helped me out.

Still the afternoon was hot and the terrain wasn't getting easier. There was one more big downhill before the second uphill of the day. The sun was beginning to set and it was worn out. I got about halfway up and started bonking hard. I just couldn't get enough sugar in me. The warm water I had to drink wasn't helping either. I ending up pushing my bike up the hill.

I wasn't getting anywhere so I hailed a passing pickup truck. The guy stopped and offered me cool water and a ride to the next town. No need to ask me twice. It turns out he works for Orange, the cell phone provider here, installing solar systems for their cell towers. Makes a lot of sense after melting in the sun all day. Plus the electric grid really doesn't work here. There are power lines strung all over the country, but I don't think there is ever any juice in them.

My driver dropped me off outside of Linsar, at the hotel. I got myself checked in and wanted to get something to eat. I would have to go into town to do that. It was dark and I didn't feel like taking the bike. It was too far to walk, so I would have to take a moto-taxi. I don't like riding on the things without my helmet though. (Yeah, I did that in Boke. I was actually trying to hail a regular taxi, but a guy on a motorcycle offered me a ride. I felt it would have been rude to refuse.) I went to get my helmet and realized that I had left it in the truck. Crap, crap, crap.

Nothing to do about it, so I decided to head to the boutique down the street and see what I could forage. On the way a car stopped by to say hello. The driver, Sow, who spoke English, asked if I was a cyclist. Yes. He said a truck driver had given him something that I had left. Turns out, he had been given my helmet. At first I didn't realize how he had found me, then I realized I was probably the only white guy in the village. I thanked Sow and gave him my card. I was so relieved to get that helmet back. I really don't like riding without one.

Now armed with my helmet I hailed a moto-taxi and heading to town for some dinner.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment