Monday, June 21, 2010

Kabale - Day 306

Date: June 20th, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Uganda
Song of the Day: Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

Went to work on the bike today. The first task was to get the crank arms off. I went to a local bike shop hoping they would have the tools. Nope, they kept telling me to just whack it with a hammer. Urgh. Too much hammer is used in African bike repairs. This is a precision instrument of travel. Not something to wail on with a blunt object.

So my real first task was to build a crank puller. Everyone at the bike shops said I was crazy. Instead I went over to the car mechanics. I needed a wide bolt with fine threads. A big truck engine was the only place I could think of finding one. Amazingly enough I found a shot that had one of just the right size. Next I got some parts together, cut the bolt down, welded a nut onto it and it actually sort of worked. I did a pretty good, job I think. It did take all day to do. So by the time I got the cranks off, all the shops were closed.

I guess I will start again tomorrow. One of the guys at the (truck) mechanic's shop said there was a real bike mechanic in town. I will see him tomorrow.

-Dravis

2 comments:

  1. That's creative of you. Did I tell you I learned some basic MIG welding? I quite enjoy it and hope to see what I can do about getting in more practice.

    I am curious, though, did you get any pictures? No offense, but the picture of you, at arms length, with a different background is getting boring. I'm just not *that* attracted to you, buddy :-) Anyway, how exactly did you just happen across welding tools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Dravis,er, should I say Macgyver???

    ReplyDelete