Monday, June 14, 2010

Akosombo to Accra - Day 290

Date: June 4th, 2010
Distance: 108km (I think. My odometer got wet and stopped working for a bit.)
Country: Ghana
Song of the Day: Spies - Coldplay

Woke up early as I didn't want to overstay my welcome in a cabin I really shouldn't have had. From the port it was only about 5km to town of Akosombo. Still it was up and down a lot. After that it was more hills for the next few miles along the Volta river. Quite pretty. Things flattened out after that, but I was riding along an area know as the Shai Hills. These are a lot like the collines from Benin. Pretty rocky hills. It was raining pretty hard for most of the morning, so I didn't get too many pictures though.

In the afternoon I made it to Tema and got on the road to Accra. This was a freeway. The police and people working the toll booths didn't mind me riding along there. There was also a nice wide shoulder, so it wasn't really dangerous. Still it was not the most pleasant ride. Noisy trucks and cars kicking up a spay of mud and water. The last 10km was just awful. The road is torn up for maintenance. So it is basically every man/car/truck for himself. Actually the traffic would be okay except for the broken down cars and trucks. There were probably a half dozen on that little stretch of road. That would block up traffic and annoyed taxi drivers would try and run me over to get around it. (They always seemed surprised that I wouldn't just leap out of their way.)

I did make it though with no big problems. I found a place to stay for the night and am quite ready for some rest.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment